Sheridan Hotels – Sheridan Inn
“A delightful stay overnight on our way from Rapid City to Cody. We stayed in Bronco Billy’s Room. Had a spacious walk in shower, comfortable bed and a lovely treat waiting for us when we arrived, homemade scones! The bar was given to Buffalo Bill by Queen Victoria and is just beautiful. There is a beautiful old beaded chandelier in the ladies parlor. We had breakfast the next day in a large dining room. The room is also used for the local Rotary Club weekly meetings. It has been restored and the staff was friendly and informative.” – Pchee72, TripAdvisor
We think History and Comfort describes the Sheridan Inn perfectly! Thank you!
History – Sheridan Inn Hotel
In 1892, the railroad had been built as far as Sheridan, Wyoming. With westward expansion in its height of popularity, the railroad line served to bring adventurous souls out West in search for a new life, and sending agricultural goods, coal and cattle back East. Recognizing the significance of the railroad in establishing the new frontier, the Sheridan Land Company, with the blessing of the Burlington and Missouri Railroad, undertook the ambitious task of building the Sheridan Inn. Construction of the Inn began in December of 1892 and was completed only six months later.
The Inn originally sat on one and a half acres of land and was 130 feet long and 50 feet wide, surrounded by a porch that was 150 feet long and 30 feet wide. It is reported to have cost $25,000 to construct.
Shortly after the Inn was built, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, an entrepreneur and world-renowned showman, purchased the business of the Inn as the first establishment in his W.F. Cody Hotel Company. Buffalo Bill, a frequent visitor at the Inn, often held auditions for his Wild West Show on the Inn’s front lawn, offering train passengers an up-close glimpse of the “Wild West.”
The Inn also served as a stop for Buffalo Bill’s W.F. Cody Transportation Company, which ran a stage line between the Inn and Deadwood, South Dakota.
In the following years, the Sheridan Inn remained one of the central attractions of the area, offering weary travelers many of the amenities and luxuries only seen back East. The Inn was the first building in Sheridan to have electric lights, for example.